Monday, April 4, 2011

A Story

[Scroll down for my first post--a "Welcome," if you will.] :)

This is a poem I wrote for my roommate Abby, just because :)
God really used it to touch my heart, so I have chosen to share it. :)
--

Once there was a well
But none could tell what it contained
Men fought, straining to see
It was always empty
They tried to fill it with many things
One man even threw every possession he had into the well
But he received nothing in return, and never saw his things again.

One man sailed to the other end of earth
He wanted to find the bottom of the well
There was none
So he jumped in
Never to be seen again

Finally a Man came, crying, to the well
For his long lost Beloved had gone
His love for her filled the well in tears
A great light shone into the well
And all men rejoiced that the well was full and they could see
Its substance was always replenished
As all men drank freely

Men came from near and far rejoicing
And one day, a woman.
She had clearly been through much
She had desperate eyes, lonely, afraid.
Where was this Woman's comfort?
She knew of the well
She'd heard One Man's great love filled the well as an ocean
She wanted to swim
To fly
To enjoy freedom again
But shame kept her.
The well's great waters roared and sang of love
But shame kept her from those waters

Her Beloved came to her
He said, "Come, I've finally found you!"
"Come and drink of my love!
I cried those tears for you!
No other has my heart the way you do!
Please come, lest I shed another tear.
My heart, My Heart!"

He offered His Hand
She looked into His Eyes
And that was all the strength she needed.
The further she walked,
Hand clasped to her Beloved,
The more strength He gave.

When they reached the well,
His love remained.
She swam in it as no one else could
All shame removed by this Man
He cried for her.
She is dignified.

She swam in His love, singing
Laughing
He loved her
He loved her so deeply
He was happy
The Sun poured forth its light on them
Love glistening so bright

No comments:

Post a Comment